Annamalai University - MA English - December 2000
3250 M.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION
December 2000 (First Year)
(Paper - 1)
110. MODERN LITERATURE - 1 (1400-1600)
Time 3 Hours
Maximum 100 Marks
Answer question ONE and FOUR others, choosing TWO from.
Section A and TWO from Section B.
All questions carry equal marks.
I. Annotate any FIVE of, the following passages choosing atleast TWO from each group.
GROUP -A (5x4 = 20)
(a) He never yet no vileinye me sayde
In all his lyf, un-to no manner wight
(b) And let faire venus that is Queene of love with her heart - Quelling sonne upon you smile.
(c) Sweet- roses do not so;
Of their sweet deaths are sweetest odours made
(d) Let me not to marriage of true minds
(e) Here upon earth, we are kings and none but wee can be such kings, nor of such subjects bee.
(f) If our two loves be one, or thou and i Love so alike that one doe slacken none can die.
GROUP - B
(g) Poetry is of all human learnings the most ancient and of most fatherly antiquity.
(h) The poet is the food for the tenderest stomachs.
(i) Revenge is a kind of wild justice
(j) Therefore if a man looks sharply and attentively, he shall see fortune, for though he be blind, yet she is not invisible.
(k) What, shall I walk with a cudget like Higgin bottoms, and may have a rapier for money?
(l) I was fascinated by Jupiter - fascinated, but I will be unwitched and revenged by law.
SECTION - A (2x20 =40)
2. Describe the prologue and its necessity for Chaucer's poem.
3. Write an essay on Spenser's use of classical allusions in prothalamion.
4. Comment on the themes which emerge from the prescribed sonnets of Shakespeare.
5. Sum up your impressions of Imagery in Donne's poetry.
6. Comment on the poetic convertions employed by Wyat in his poems.
7. Discuss the contribution of surrey to English poetry.
8. Consider Herbert as a religious poet.
SECTION - B (2x20 =40)
9. How does sidney defend the superiority of poetry over history and philosophy?
10. Comment on Bacon's worldly wisdom by choosing certain essays to establish your view point.
11. Comment on the value of Moore's utopia as a work of art.
12. "Ben, Jon son's characters in Every Man in His Humour are only caricatures - Discuss
13 Write an essay on the irony of love witnessed in Middleton's The Changeling
14. Comment on the significance of title of the play A Woman killed with kindness.