B.E./B.TECH.DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2008
TIME : 3 HRS
MAX MARKS : 100PART - A
(10 X 2 = 20 MARKS)
1. List out the frequency bands used for satellite services.
2. State kepler's second law of planetary motion.
3. What is meant by momentum wheel stabalisation?
4. What are geostationary satellites
5. What is meant by input back off a transponder?
6. Give the formulae to compute the uplink carrier to noise ratio.
7. What are the limitations of FDMA -satellite access?
8. Distinguish etween pre-assigned and demand- assigned TDMA satellite access/
9. Give the applications of satellites.
10 What are the various compressions standards used in satellite applications?PART -B
(5 X 16 = 80)
11 (a) What are orbital elements? Derive the six orbital elements of satellite from newton's second law of motion.
(b) How are the satellite position estimated using the sub satellite points?
12 (a) What are look angles and derive the expressions for azimuth and elevation?
(b) With a neat block diagram ,explain the attitude and orbit control sytem present in the space segment.
13 (a) With a neat sketch explain the power budget for a satellite link considering back off and rain fade margin.
(b) How does the system noise temperature affect the performance ? Derive the expression for overall system noise temperature at the receiving earth station
14 (a) With a neat block diagram ,explain the functionning of a SPADE system.
(b) Explain the TDMA burst and frame structure of satellite system ..Draw the necessary diagrams.
15 (a) In detail give an acccount of various compression standards used in the satellite context.
(b) What is meant by DTH? What are the design issues to be considered for launching DTH systems?