What is Domain Parking and ways to Park a Domain Using cPanel

Started by Sudhakar, Nov 08, 2009, 11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sudhakar

A parked domain is a domain name that redirects to an existing domain, but keeps the parked address in the browser bar. The parked domain looks and acts as though it were the domain it is parked on top of. Both domains will have the SAME content.

For example, if you own www.my-website.com, you can "park" that domain on top of www.mywebsite.com. If a user visits www.fmy-website.com, the browser will redirect to www.mywebsite.com but keep www.my-website.com in the address bar, obscuring www.mywebsite.com. Similarly, if a user visits www.my-website.com/info/, it will display the content from www.mywebsite.com/info/.

No matter which domain you select, the content displayed is the same.

Parked domains are useful to anyone that owns multiple domains and would like all of them to point to the same location. Another purpose for parked domains is to redirect multiple variations of a domain name to one place; for example, 123.edu, 123.org, 123.net could all be parked on top of 123.com, providing a seamless environment for end-users.

Domain parking also refers to registering a domain name without associating it with any service such as e-mail or a website. For instance, you might have registered a domain name but the website has not been done yet. In somes cases, domain parking may be monetized by showing ads to visitors.

How to park a domain using cPanel
1 ) Go to http://yourdomain.com/cPanel and log in
2) In the Domains section, click on Parked Domains

Attached Pic No : 1

3) In the Parked Domains section, enter your domain (without the "www" portion) and click the Add Domain! Button (note: you must already own the domain to be parked)

Attached Pic No : 2

4) Domains that you have parked appear at the bottom of the Parked Domains page. You may also use this section to manage or remove the parked domain:

Attached Pic No : 3