Board Exam 2009 CBSE English Question paper

Started by ganeshbala, Mar 27, 2009, 01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ganeshbala

CBSE English Question paper

SECTION - A

Question A.1

Familiar to most people for its medicinal properties, the Neem is recognized by few despite its distinctive, curved leaves and annual profusion of star-shaped, sweet scented flowers. It is a medium-sized or large evergreen tree with a straight trunk , a native of India, Burma and Sri Lanka. The young leaves are a pale, tender green tinged with rust. These are eaten on New Year Days to ward off sickness during the coming year. Some people to whom the tree is sacred, also festoon fresh leaves across their houses when there is an epidemic of chicken pox, or to keep evil spirits away when there is a birth or death. Dried leaves put in drawers or cupboards keep out moths and cockroaches. Another use for these magic leaves is in poultice form for healing wounds. From the yellow fruit is obtained the famous Margosa oil, very effective in the treatment of leprosy and skin diseases. External application of oil from the seed is believed to cure rheumatism. The bark and gum yield valuable medicines. In fact, every part of this tree is of some value. Neem timber is beautifully mottled, hard and heavy and is used for ship building, carts and furniture. Wood from old trees is so bitter that no insects will attack it.

A.1. 1 On the basis of your reading of the above passage, answer the following questions as briefly as possible. Write your answers in the spaces provided. (8 marks)

(a) The neem tree is well known for _________________________ a)__________
(b) Its leaves can be recognized by its shape which is b)__________
(c) Some people believe that the leaves of the Neem keep away ________________________________________________________and c)__________
(d) d)__________ b)__________
(e) Leprosy and skin diseases can be fought with the help of e)__________
(f) Neem timber is used for building various things such as f)__________
(g) Insects do not attack the furniture made from Neem timber because g)__________
(h) The leaves of the Neem are called 'magic' leaves because they also h)__________ wounds.

Ans.
a. it's medicinal properties
b. curved and distinctive
c. bad spirits at birth or death
d. are spread across the room when there is an epidemic of chicken pox.
e. Margosa oil, which is obtained from the yellow fruit.
f. Ships, carts and furniture
g. The wood is very bitter.
h. Heal

Question A.2
Read the following passage carefully: (8marks)

A sustainable society satisfies its needs without diminishing the prospects of the next generation. Through many measures, contemporary society fails to meet this criterion. As a result, questions of ecological sustainability are arising on every continent. Daily news items remind us that the scale of human activities has begun to threaten the suitability of the earth as a fit place to live. Economic growth became the controlling of governments everywhere. Regardless of ideology or stage of development, all sought similar ends an expansion of their economies and improvements in living standards. Though the gains achieved were far from being equally distributed, the world as a whole experienced remarkable economic progress, at the cost of degradation of all its natural resources. Economist Herman Daly suggests that "as the economy grows beyond its present physical scale, it may increase costs faster than benefits and initiate an era of uneconomic growth which impoverishes rather than enriches".

Trees are important - even a child knows that. Perhaps everybody knows of trees as silent benefactors of man scavenging the polluted air. The trees are primary producers and without them it is just impossible to imagine animal life, including man. But these facts have remained as bits of information, without the concern and painstaking endeavour in helping a tree grow.

Our planners should understand that it is a vast treasure of plant and animal life that plays a vital role in maintaining the ecological balance. The tribe communities have a close relationship with forests. It has been estimated that nearly 25 million tribals live in and around forests and depend, to a great extent, on forests for their sustenance. The government reports always talk about their welfare, but the fact is just the reverse. Without proper settlement options, they are gradually facing exile for the sake of industries, large and dangerous dams and many other purposes. The dense forests in Korba have given way to several large industries and all the tribesmen are ousted. The residents of Tehri, Bastar, Angul, Talcher, Digboi, Visakhapatnam, etc. have the same fate.

A.2.1. On the basis of your reading of the passage, answer the following questions as briefly as possible in the space provided ( 4 marks)

(a) Why does the author say that the contemporary society has failed to meet the criterion of a sustainable society ?

(b) Environmentally, the economic progress made by man so far has resulted in

(c) and in that economic growth _____________________________________________

(d) Pick out and write the words or phrases that express the fact that the tribals have been brought on the brink of exile from their traditional places of living.

Ans.
a. Everything is full of violence and cruelty. We are loosing our sensibilities towards others.
b. The degradation of the environment.
c. Has become the central goal of the governments regardless of the environmental degradation.
d. Scavenging, concern, painstaking, sake of industries, several large industries, ousted, exile.

Question A2.2
The four advantages of trees which are indispensable for human survival are: ( 4 marks)

Ans.
a. They provide us medicines and herbs
b. They give us oxygen, necessary for us to breathe
c. They stop rain filled wind.
d. They are indispensable to animal life.

Question A.3
Read the following passage carefully :

EASING VIENNA THROUGH PEDAL POWER - M. Hasnain

Come summer and bicycles swarm the streets of Vienna like insects. Dressed in colourful T-shirts, their hair blowing in the wind and bodies basking in sun-shine, cyclists cheerfully cruise along the yellow ribboned, red tarmac that is laid out especially for them in different parts of the city. May 31 is celebrated as bicycle day by bike clubs in Vienna.

And Helmut Zilk, the mayor is not complaining . Instead, he is often seen cycling around the town himself. Although is must be said for Zilk that with him, it is not just a case of pedalling for pleasure. From his offices in the City Hall built in massive Gothic, an equally massive campaign is launched to ease this lovely but pollution-plagued city from further traffic congestion.

Officials for Urban Development and Transport at the City Hall say that Vienna is, at the moment, engaged in rediscovering the freedom and mobility that the bicycle had provided between 1890 and 1910. This, before its popularity was profoundly diminished by the birth of the automobile.

"What we are trying to do is not only to forbid the use of cars but also encourage people to use alternative transport, especially for short distances, " an official explains. To popularize cycling in a big way, at least nine different tours of the city exist with the promise to unearth, for the biker, some of the most picturesque nooks and crannies of Vienna.

To discourage people from using cars all the time, parking places have been reduced and fines hiked. Park garages are being built closer to where people live or near central tube stations, rather than in the vicinity of people's place of work. To further frustrate motorists, special stickers worth about $ 200 will be sold to those who live and must park, in the inner city. This is imperial Vienna and the most attractive part of the city. Its parks, palaces and pavilions are jealously guarded by its people who are forever nostalgic and extremely proud of their 1000 year old history.

The imperial city is already well connected to the rest of Vienna with public transport of every sort from the street car to the supersonic tube trains. Yet the car crazy continue to snail in everywhere in what is being commonly known as "the ego structured, worthless piece of junk". Today 25 per cent of pollution in the city is due to traffic and most of it is from industry.

A.3.1 On the basis of your reading of the above passage, complete the following summary with appropriate words ( 4 Marks)

In summer Vienna's streets (a) __________________________ with bicycles like insects. It is a beautiful sight, seeing the cyclists wearing colourful T-shirts. (b) _______________________ along the colourful roads in the city. For Helmut Zilk, the mayor of the city (c) _______________ the city not pleasure only. His doing so is to (d) ________________ to ease the city from the plague of traffic congestion. This is not intended to forbid the use of the cars. On the other hand, people (e) ___________________ alternative transport for short distances. There are at least nine different routes in the city and these are basically for (f) _________________ to maximum. Besides, these routes let the cyclists to see the most picturesque parts of the city. The authorities have hiked the fines and reduced the parking places, so that people (g) ______________________ to use the cars. There arte other methods also (h) _____________ which will be sold to those who must park in the inner city. Still the city is sick of chaotic traffic.

A.3.2 Answer the following questions briefly in the space provided (5 marks)

(a) What is the purpose behind the celebration of May 31 as "bicycle day", in Vienna?

(b) Besides pleasure, what is the reason for Helmut Zilk, the Mayor of the city to pedal around on a particular day?

(c) When was the freedom and mobility provided by the cycle - most popular in Vienna? (c)__________

(d) What has been done in the city to encourage the people to use bicycle for short distances? (d)__________

(e) How have the city-dwellers in Vienna been discouraged from using cars all the time? (e)__________

A.3.3 Pick out words from the passage that mean the following (5 marks)

(a) sail about for pleasure (a)__________

(b) set in motion (b)__________

(c) deeply (c)__________

(d) striking, most beautiful (d)__________

(e) wistful longing for something of the past (e)__________

A3.1
a. swarm
b. cyclists cheerfully cruise
c. pedaling through
d. launch a campaign
e. are encouraged to use
f. popularize cycling
g. are discouraged
h. special stickers

A3.2
a. The purpose is to encourage people to ride and commute on bicycles rather than polluting the area by using cars.
b. His purpose is to ease the city from pollution.
c. It was popular 1000 years ago, from 1890 to 1910.
d. To encourage people to use bicycles, tarmac paths have been laid for them in different partsof the city and tours have been organised to show them the most picturesque parts of the city.
e. The parking space has been reduced and price of tickets hiked. Also special stickers for $200 are sold to people who live and must park in the inner city.

A3.3
a. pedaling
b. launched
c. profoundly
d. picturesque
e. nostalgic

SECTION B (Writing)

Question B.1

Here are a few notes about the general cleanliness in the diary of the principal of your School. Read them and complete the information given below (5 marks)

GENERAL CLEANLINESS OF THE SCHOOL( 5 marks)

Campus : not clean
toilets : stinking in the absence of continuous flow of water, a few need repairs.
playground : weeds grown all over
classrooms : furniture broken, blackboards need repair & polishing
notice boards : need cleanliness-notices pasted nearby and on walls.
Need immediate attention - failure to result in taking strict action.

NOTES

The furniture in the classrooms is broken, and there is an immediate need _____________________________________________________ Strangely, the notice boards need to be cleaned. The __________________ ______________________ presented a pathetic look. Thus the school needs a cleanliness drive at once. If anyone is found wanting in his duties __________________________

Ans.
For polishing and repair
notices pasted on nearby walls
Strict action will be taken.

Question B.2

Read the following telephone conversation which took place between Kamal and Sumit. Sumit's father is not at home and he is to hurry to school. Sumit, therefore, leaves a message for his father. Write that message using not more than 50 words in the space provided (5 marks)

Kamal Hello Sumit. Is uncle at home?
Sumit I'm sorry, he is out at the moment. What can I do for you?
Kamal Well, my daddy was to come to see uncle today at home at 6 pm. But guests are due and he won't be able to do so,
Sumit Yes....
Kamal He will come to see uncle day after tomorrow at about 6.30 pm. Kindly tell uncle about it.
Sumit Don't worry. I am in a bit of a hurry. I am leaving a message for papa. Bye.
Kamal Bye, dear.

Papa,

Sumit

Ans.
Dear Dad,

Kamal called and said that his father, who was to come to see you at 6 pm, will not be able to come today as he is expecting some guests. Instead he will come day after tomorrow at 6.30 pm

Sumit

Question B.3

Kishore of Class X is asked to deliver a speech at the morning assembly of his school on "Dangers of Underage Children Driving Vehicles". Write that speech for him in the space provided (10 marks)

Good morning every body. I am Kishore from Class X.The first thing that we read in the papers every morning is about one accident or the other. Life has become more precarious than ever before. Everyone seems to be in a rush to reach somewhere. No one is interested in obeying any traffic rules. The incentive to move about on wheels at an early age is tremendous.

Children at an early age are given keys to automobiles. They lack the maturity and the finesse needed to drive on the roads. There nuptial age is another factor that encourages them to race around at a fast pace. They disobey the rules as it is the age of rebellion. Danger of underage children driving is not only to their own self but, to the others on the road. It is the adult's responsibility, whether they are parents or teacher's to warn the youngsters to abide by the rules as it is to their own advantage.

Rules are meant for safety and precaution and not to be broken. Safety lies in our own hands. Let it be our objective to dissuade the underage children from driving on the roads.

Question B.4

Radha is to write an article on India after attaining its independence. Write that article for her. (10 marks)

India is a land, which has a lot to offer in all aspects. India set on its path of independence some 54 odd years back. We started from scratch and we have crossed many hurdles, which have come in our path. The progress as far as communication is concerned has been tremendous. Now we have satellite phones, cell phones connecting us. We have gone further ahead in our nuclear tests and have managed to procure a nuclear bomb making facility. We have furthered ourselves in India setting our standards and place in the world.

Our pace of progress has been slow but steady. Now we have availabity of all goods as the imports have been made easier.

There is a flip side to this which is that red tapism, corruption and bribery is on the rise. Nothing seems to be moving without any weightage. We have to reach the stars and make our country something to reckon with.

ganeshbala

Section - C (Grammar)

Question C.1

C.1 The following passage has not been edited. There is one error in each line. Underline each error and write your correction in the space provided. The first correction has been done as an example. (4 Marks)

So far as the export of wildlife is concerned As
this is luckily a subject on whom opinion (a)________
do not stop at political boundaries. Thinking (b)________
people of Europe are just as disturb by the (c)_________
deplete of Indian wildlife as we are. (d)_________
While we are to stop the kill and export of (e)_________
animals, they have helped us for banning (f)_________
an import into their countries of those animals (g)_________
or skins which are on our endanger list. (h)_________

Ans.
a. whom/ which
b. do/does
c. disturb/disturbed
d. deplete/depletion
e. kill/killing
f. for/by
g. an/of
h. endanger/endangered

Question C.2

Read the following telephone conversation.

Mr.Pawar, Head of Engineers Academy Publishing House
Hello, is that 692051 Yes, Varun Publications.
Can I speak to the Sales Manager? I'm afraid, he's not in right now. I'm his PA. Can I be of some help to you?
I'm Pawar, Head of Engineers Academy. I hear you are going to publish a book on computer engineering. When is it likely to be available? It will be out by the end of next month.
Will you please arrange to send me a copy by VPP as soon as it's published? Or do I need to pay for it in advance? You needn't do that. But you do have to send a written order. You can send it anytime but not later than the 22nd of next month.
Thank you. I 'l do that. Thank you.

When the manager returns, the PA reports the conversation she had with Mr.Pawar. Complete the following conversation by filling in the blanks. (5 Marks)

PA Mr. Pawar, Head of the Engineers Academy, wanted to talk to you earlier this morning.
SALES MANAGER What about?
PA He said (a)_____________ heard about the (b)______________ of our new book on computer engineering. He asked when it was going on (c)_____________ (a)_____________ (b)_____________ (c)_____________
SALES MANAGER Did you tell him that (d)_____________ out by the end of the next month? (d)_____________
PA Yes, I did. Then he asked if we could send him a copy by VPP as soon as (e)_____________ or if he (f)_____________ it in advance. (e)_____________ (f)_____________
S. MANAGER What did you tell him?
PA I told him that he (g)_____________ but that he (h)_____________ a written order, which he could do at any time before the 22nd of next month. (g)_____________ (h)_____________
S. MANAGER That's right (i)___________________ , we can send him a complimentary copy as (j)________________ customer of ours. (i)_____________ (j)_____________

Ans.
a. that he had
b. publishing
c. the stands
d. it would be
e. possible
f. should pay for
g. needn't
h. has to send
i. Then
j. he is an old

Question C.3

Kiran is being interviewed for a job. Complete the dialogue below in any suitable way. Write your answers in the spaces provided. The first one has been done as an example. (4 Marks)

Interviewer : When did you obtain your Bachelor of Education Degree?
Kiran : I got it in 1992, madam.
I ______________________________________________ (a)_____________
K I have been a first class throughout my career.
I Have you taught somewhere before?
K Yes madam. I ______________________________________ (b)_____________
I Then, why _________________________________________ (c)_____________
K It's for better prospects in your school, madam.
I ______________________________________________
K I face no problem in teaching any class in a school. However, I would prefer to teach senior classes.
I Fine, you will hear from us soon .
K Thank you, madam.

Ans.
a. How much did you score?
b. Have been teaching in xyz school
c. Do you wish to change your job?
d. Which class would you prefer to teach?

Question C.4

Look at the words and phrases below. Rearrange them to form meaningful sentences to express the complete process of opening a saving account in a bank. Write each sentence in the space provided. The first one has been done as an example (2 Marks)

for opening/ ask for/ with the bank/ a form/ a new account

a) also/ a cash/ obtain/ voucher/deposit
b) in/ fill in/ both/ all the columns/ of them
c) in the/ countersigned/ for form/ having an account/ get/ by a person/ bank
d) the money/ your/ pass-book/ and deposit/ collect.

Ask for a form for opening a new account with the bank.

(a) _______________________________________________ (a)___________
(b) _______________________________________________ (b) __________
(c) _______________________________________________ (c) ___________
(d) _______________________________________________ (d) ___________

Ans.
a. Also obtain a cash voucher deposit.
b. In both of them fill in all the columns
c. For form get countersigned by a person having an account in the bank.
d. Collect your pass book and deposit the money.

SECTION - D (Literature)

Question D.1

D.1 Read the following extract and answer the questions which follow : The gap I mean No one has seen them made or heard them made, but at spring mending time we find them there. (4 marks)

(a) Who are 'we' in these lines? (1 mark) ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ (a)__________

(b) When do 'they meet', and what for? (2 marks) ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ (b)__________

(c) What is the thing that causes those gaps? (1 mark) ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ (c)__________
Ans.
a. The poet and his neighbor
b. They meet at spring time to mend the wall.
c. The lack of communication between them and the physical barrier created by the wall.

Question D.2

Read the following extract and answer the questions which follow : His breath comes in a half-choked whistle, the air uncertain whether to burst through the lungs or whoosh out of the mouth. (4 marks)

(a) Why does Gulzaman find it difficult to breathe? (2 marks) ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ (a)__________

(b) Why does Gulzaman leave behind his kinsmen? (2 marks) ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ (b)__________
a. He finds it difficult to breathe as he is climbing a steep height and the air there is getting thinner.
b. They consistently throw jibes at him about him not having a son. They question his manhood and pass insulting remarks.

Question D.3

Read this extract from ' A Christmas Carol' and answer the question that follow : (5 Marks)

First Ghost : The girl you were to marry. And there you sit next to her, a young man in your prime. Only, now your face begins to show the signs of avarice.

(a) What for has the speaker taken Scrooge out?(1 mark) ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ (a)__________

(b) What does 'the girl' say to Scrooge? (2 marks) ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ (b)__________

(c) How, according to the First Ghost, is Belle happy now? (2 marks) ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ (c)__________
Ans.
a. The speaker has taken him there because he wants Scrooge to know what he lost in his past and what a different man he was in the past.
b. The girl tells him that money is more precious to him than she and she would not like to be the second best.
c. She has her children and her husband. She has someone to love and cherish her whereas Scrooge has no one to call his own.

Question D.4

D.4 'In the entire house, there was an air of the stillness of the graveyard.' Describe the reasons for such an atmosphere when Babuli reached home after a long period. (4 Marks)

___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________

Ans.
Babuli entered the household which used to be like a temple to all of them. It was the very same place where they had all grown up. Now the time had come to cut that very place into parts. Hence, it seemed as though someone has passed away. Everyone was serious and mourning in their own way. Their mother seemed like a ghost as she felt parts of her were being cut into pieces. His nieces and nephews seemed to have lost their smile in the problem. Also, he was going back home after a long time. He had not even corresponded with his family back at home.

Question D.5

Imagine you are the princess in the story, 'The Lady or the Tiger ?' Write a diary page recording how you feel at the event in the amphitheatre and why you plan to point to the door on the right. Write your answer in the space provided? (8 Marks)

Ans.
Dear Diary,

I have had one of the worst days of my life today. Today I found out about the courtier. We have been seeing each other for some time. I was attracted to him because of his strength and looks. He is one of the most handsome men in our kingdom. It was me who enticed him into having an affair with me.

Unfortunately, he has to pay the price of being in love with the king's daughter, though I am to be equally blamed.

Father has released orders that he has to go the amphitheatre to fight for his existence with a hungry tiger. But he still has some chance as there are two doors. Behind one door is an attractive women and the other door opens to the Hungary tiger with whom it is a battle of survival.

It is a very difficult decision for me as even if he lives he would not be mine. But then again what is his fault?

I am equally at fault. So I will befriend the guard and find out which door has the attractive woman behind it. So that he may continue to live. How can I betray him like that. He has as much right to live as I do. I believe in the saying, "If you love someone set him free; if he comes back he is yours; else he never was".

johnbreckan

Thanks for the test paper I am trying to solve it.

boardmarks