Indian Railway News

Started by sajiv, Jul 01, 2008, 08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sajiv

Trains to be terminated at Dadar

CHENNAI: Due to line block at Mumbai CST railway station from August 14 (10.30 pm) to August 16 (10.30 pm), the following trains will be terminated at Dadar station on dates mentioned against them. Train (6352) Nagercoil - Mumbai CST Express – August 14; train (1028) Chennai Central – Mumbai CST Mail, train (6382) Kanyakumari – Mumbai CST Express and train (1042) Chennai Central – Mumbai CST Express – August 15 and 16, and train (6340) Nagercoil –Mumbai CST Express – August 15.

dwarakesh

Special trains

MADURAI: The Southern Railway will run a pair of special passenger trains between Madurai and Rameswaram in connection with the Amavasai festival on August 20.

A statement said that Madurai-Rameswaram passenger special will leave Madurai at 9.45 p.m. on August 19 and reach Rameswaram at 1.50 a.m. the next day.

Rameswaram-Madurai passenger special will leave Rameswaram at 1.30 p.m. on August 20 and reach Madurai at 5.45 p.m. the same day.

These trains will stop at Madurai East, Silaiman, Tirupuvanam, Tirupacheti, Manamadurai, Sudiyur, Paramakudi, Sattirakudi, Ramanathapuram, Uchipuli, Mandapam and Pamban.

sajiv

Special trains to Tirupati, Kakinada

Staff Reporter

Hyderabad: South Central Railway, in order to clear extra rush of passengers, is operating special trains between Secunderabad, Tirupati and Kakinada routes.

Train No. 0709 Secunderabad-Tirupati special train will depart Secunderabad on August 21 at 11.30 p.m. and reach Tirupati at 11.55 a.m. on the next day. En route, this train will stop at Kazipet, Warangal, Khammam, Vijayawada, Tenali, Ongole, Nellore, Gudur, Srikalahasti and Renigunta. Train No. 0705 Tirupati-Kakinada Town Special train will depart Tirupati on August 22 at 9 p.m. and reach Kakinada town at 08.30 a.m. on the next day.

sajiv

Train detained

MADURAI: The Chennai-bound Nellai Express was detained for more than two hours on Sunday night at the railway station here after a group of Vidhuthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi activists created a ruckus.

The Tamil Nadu Railway Police registered two cases against the VCK activists, including the party's Madurai district secretary R. Pandiammal. They were going to Chennai for a party conference on Monday.

Superintendent of Railway Police, Tiruchi, M. Vijayalakshmi, inspected the station where an indication board was damaged by some persons, who were in an inebriated condition. A trolley was pushed on to the track.

Ms. Vijayalakshmi said the trouble began after passengers objected to VCK cadre with unreserved tickets entering reserved coaches. The Travelling Ticket Examiners informed the security personnel who tried to prevent them from entering the coaches. The alarm chain was pulled at least twice, resulting in the train being delayed.

No arrests have been made.

sajiv

Special trains to clear rush

HYDERABAD: The South Central Railways will run the following special trains from August 21 to clear passenger rush.

Secunderabad-Kakinada Town: Train No.700 –departs Secunderabad on August 21, 22, 23, 28, 29 and 30 at 11 p.m.

Train No.701-departs Kakinada on August 21, 22,23,28,29 and 30 at 9 p.m. The trains will pass via Kazipet, Warangal, Eluru, Tadepalligudem, Nidadavolu, Rajahmundry, Anaparti and Samalkot.

Secunderabad-Rajahmundry: Train No.0715-departs Secunderabad on August 22 and 29 at 11 p.m.

Guntur-Secunderabad Train No.0713-departs Guntur at 9 p.m. on August 23. The train will stop at Vijayawada, Khammam, Mahabubabad,Warangal and Kazipet.

sajiv

Railways' ticket earnings increase

HUBLI: Hubli Division of South Western Railway has recorded passenger earnings of Rs. 58.58 crore up to July, which is 19.75 per cent more than the earnings during the corresponding period of last financial year.

Speaking at the Independence Day celebrations at the DRM's office premises in Hubli on Saturday, Mr. Sharma said the passenger earnings were 4.57 per cent more than the target for the period.

However, the division recorded a slump in the freight loading.

The division recording an originating freight loading of up to July-end was 10.23 million tonnes which was 2.32 per cent more than the target but 23.9 per cent lower than the loading during the corresponding period last year, he said.

Mr. Sharma said that because of recession the demand for iron ore had fallen in international market, which had affected the freight loading by the division.

He said the division had recorded freight earnings of Rs. 797.8 crore up to July end, while the gross earnings was Rs. 864.49 crore.

Later, Mr. Sharma presented Cash Awards to RPF Contingent, Civil Defence Personnel, NCC of Railway High School, Bharat Scouts and Guides, Railway Schools and RPF Band.

Timothy T. Gonmei, Senior Divisional Personnel Officer, proposed a vote of thanks.

sajiv

Special trains to Bangalore, Veraval

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Southern Railway will run special trains between Ernakulam and Bangalore and between Kochuveli and Veraval during Onam to clear the heavy rush of commuters.

The 0643 Ernakulam-Bangalore Weekly Special will leave Ernakulam junction at 9.15 p.m. on August 27 and September 3 to reach Bangalore City at 10 a.m. the next day, the Railways said.

The 0644 Bangalore-Ernakulam Special will leave Bangalore City at 6.50 p.m. on August 28 and September 4 to arrive at Ernakulam junction at 6.30 a.m. the next day.

The 0641 Ernakulam-Bangalore Weekly Special will leave Ernakulam junction at 6.40 p.m. on August 24, 31 and September 7 to reach Bangalore City at 8.30 a.m. the next day.

The 0642 Bangalore-Ernakulam Special will leave Bangalore City at 5.15 p.m. on August 25, September 1 and 8 to arrive at Ernakulam junction at 4.20 a.m. the next day.

The 0975 Veraval-Kochuveli special will leave Veraval at 4.30 p.m. on August 28 to arrive at Kochuveli at 7.15 p.m. on August 30.

The 0976 Kochuveli-Veraval special will leave Kochuveli at 8.50 a.m. on September 1 to arrive at Veraval at 11.10 a.m. on September 3.

Advance reservation for the above trains will begin on Saturday, the Railways said.

sajiv

Special train to Ernakulam tomorrow

HUBLI: Southern Railway has decided to run a special train between Ernakulam and Bangalore on Monday to clear the extra rush, according to a press release.

Accordingly, Ernakulam-Bangalore City Special (train no. 0641) will leave Ernakulam at 6.40 p.m. on Monday and reach Bangalore at 8.30 a.m. the next day.

In the return direction, Bangalore City-Ernakulam Special (train no. 0642) will leave Bangalore at 5.15 p.m. on Tuesday and reach Ernakulam at 4.20 a.m. the next day.

The special train will have 20 coaches comprising one A.C. 2-tier coach, two A.C. 3-tier coaches, 12 second-class sleepers, three general second-class coaches and two second-class luggage-cum-brake vans

sajiv

Special trains for Velankanni festival

CHENNAI: Southern Railway will run specials for Velankanni festival.

Chennai Egmore – Nagore specials (via Arakkonam, Jolarpettai, Salem, Karur, Tiruchi, Thanjavur, and Nagapattinam): Train No. 0627 will leave Chennai Egmore at 10 p.m. on August 28 and September 4 (Fridays) and reach Nagore at 11 a.m. the next day. In return – train No. 0628 will leave Nagore at 2 p.m. on August 30 and September 6 (Sundays) and arrive at Chennai Egmore at 3.45 a.m. the next day. Madurai – Ernakulam specials (via Dindigul, Tiruchi, Karur and Erode): Train No. 0629 will leave Madurai at 7.15 p.m. on August 27 and September 3 (Thursdays) and reach Ernakulam at 8 a.m. the next day. In return – train No. 0630 will leave Ernakulam at 7.30 p.m. on August 30 and September 6 (Sundays) and arrive at Madurai at 7.45 a.m. the next day.

Ernakulam – Nagore specials: Train No. 0635 will leave Ernakulam at 7.30 pm on August 28 and September 4 (Fridays) and arrive at Nagore at 8.30 a.m. the next day. In return – train No.0636 will leave Nagore at 8 p.m. on August 29 and September 5 (Saturdays) and arrive at Ernakulam at 8 a.m. the next day. Dadar – Nagore specials: Train No. 0171 will leave Dadar at 10.45 a.m. on August 26 (Wednesday) and arrive at Nagore at 9.30 p.m. the next day. In the return direction, train No. 0172 will leave Nagore at 3.30 p.m. on August 28 (Friday) and arrive at Dadar at 6.15 a.m. the next day. Reservation will begin on August 25.

sajiv

MADURAI: In an effort to help the differently abled, elderly and sick passengers navigate easily among the crowd at the railway station and to transport their luggage, a battery operated four-seater car service was launched at the railway station here on Monday.

Speaking at a brief function to launch the facility, Anil Singhal, Divisional Regional Manager (DRM), said that it was one of the initiatives of public-private partnership where corporate social responsibility had played its role.

The battery-operated car which could seat four persons, besides the driver, had adequate luggage space. It could be booked by calling toll-free number 98948 56789. It would transport physically challenged and aged passengers free of cost from the station entrance to their train coaches and vice-versa. It would be available according to the booking on a first-come-first-served basis.

sajiv

Southern Railway official falls prey to 'phishing' mail, loses Rs.53,000

CHENNAI: A top official of Southern Railway, who entered the username and password of his net-banking account in response to a 'phishing' mail, has been cheated of Rs.53,000.

Phishing refers to the act of acquiring confidential information such as bank account details and passwords electronically by posing as a trusted entity.

The Madurai Police on Sunday registered a cheating case against unknown persons.

On August 23, Divisional Railway Manager, Madurai Division, Anil Singhal, received an e-mail from the 'customer care division' of ICICI Bank. It asked him to enter the username and password as part of a security upgrade.

"When I clicked on the link, the login page popped up. It looked similar to the usual login page of ICICI Net banking... After I entered my username and password, there was a message that the site will be closed till August 29 for maintenance," he told The Hindu.

The Net banking account of Mr. Singhal was found deactivated when he accessed it on Sunday.

"When I tried to take some money through the ATM, I came to know that there was only Rs.83 left in the account. Enquiries with the bank authorities revealed that the suspect had withdrawn Rs.53,000 in two parts through Net banking."
"Looked so original"

Though there was Rs.70,000 balance in another ICICI account of the official, which was also linked to the main account, the suspect did not touch that money. "I had one account in Allahabad and another in New Delhi...both linked to Net banking. The login page in the phishing mail looked so original," recalled Mr. Singhal, who has been using the online banking facility for three years now.

Ironically, the mail had stated that many online frauds were taking place and hence the security upgrade.

When the matter was taken up with the bank officials, he said they had told him that he should not have given his net-banking details without ascertaining the authenticity of the email.

dwarakesh

Special train

CHENNAI: In connection with the 'Buddha Dhama Chakrapavardhan' Day celebrations in Nagpur on September 28, Southern Railway will run a

special train. Train No. 0675 will leave Central at 9.10 pm on September 26 and reach Nagpur at 3 p.m. the next day. Train No. 0676 will leave

Nagpur at 3.20 p.m. on September 29 and arrive at Central at 10.30 a.m. the next day. Reservation will begin on September 4.

sajiv

Special train

CHENNAI: Southern Railway will run a special train from Nagore to Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (Mumbai) for the Arockiamatha Annual Festival at Velankanni.

Train No. 0671 will leave Nagore at 3.30 p.m. on September 8 and reach Lokmanya Tilak Terminus at 5.05 a.m. on Sept. 10.

sajiv

Trains rescheduled

Chennai: Owing to line block in connection with engineering work at Nandiyambakkam in the Chennai Central-Gummidipoondi section up to September 11,the following EMU will be fully cancelled: MG-1 Moore Market Complex (MMC)-Gummidipoondi local leaving MMC at 0.15 a.m.

sajiv

Special trains to Nagercoil

CHENNAI: Southern Railway will run special trains between Chennai and Nagercoil to clear the extra rush of passengers.

Chennai Central–Nagercoil Special (Train No.0603) will leave Chennai Central at 8 pm on September 18 and reach Nagercoil at 12.20 pm the next day. In the return direction, Train No.0604 will leave Nagercoil at 4.30 pm on September 19 and arrive at Chennai Central at 8.30 am the next day.

The trains will stop at Arakkonam, Katpadi, Jolarpettai, Salem, Erode, Karur, Dindigul, Madurai, Virudhunagar, Satur, Kovilpatti, Vanchi Maniyachchi, Tirunelveli and Valliyur. Train No.0604 will stop at Perambur. The composition of the trains will be 1 First AC cum AC 2-tier, 1 AC 3 tier, 10 Sleeper Class, 3 General Second Class and 2 luggage-cum-brake van coaches.

Chennai Central–Nagercoil Special (Train No.0601) will leave Chennai Central at 6.05 pm on September 20 and arrive at Nagercoil at 10.00 am the next day. In the return direction, Train No.0602 will leave Nagercoil at 4.30 pm on September 21 and arrive at Chennai Central at 8.30 am the next day.

The trains will stop at Arakkonam, Katpadi, Jolarpettai, Salem, Erode, Karur, Dindigul, Madurai, Virudhunagar, Satur, Kovilpatti, Vanchi Maniyachchi, Tirunelveli and Valliyur. Train No.0602 will stop at Perambur. The composition of the trains will be 1 First AC cum AC 2-tier, 1 AC 3 tier, 10 Sleeper Class, 3 General Second Class and 2 luggage-cum-brake van coaches.

Advance reservation for the above trains will commence on September 11.

sajiv

Special train to Chennai

Kozhikode: The Southern Railway has introduced Deepavali special train between Ernakulam Junction and Chennai.

Train No. 0635 Ernakulam - Chennai Central Special will leave Ernakulam at 6.40 p.m. on October 15 and reach Chennai Central at 7.40 a.m. the next day. Train No. 0636 Chennai Central - Ernakulam Super Fast Special will leave Chennai Central at 11 a.m. on October 16 and arrive at Ernakulam at 11.30 p.m. the same day.

The trains will stop at Aluva, Thrissur, Palakkad, Coimbatore, Tiruppur, Erode, Salem, Jolarpettai, Katpadi and Arakkonam.

The railways will introduce a special stoppage for the Poorna Express (train No.1097/1098 Pune - Ernakulam - Pune) at Byndoor Station with immediate effect up to September 30 on account of Navarathri festival at Kollur Mookambika Temple.

sajiv

Railways' ways

Recently while travelling in a 2 AC coach by 2781 Swaran Jayanti Express, I had a very disgusting experience regarding supply of beddings.

This train runs between Mysore and Hazrat Nizamuddin in Delhi once a week. I boarded the train at Pune Junction on September 5 in Coach A1. On my berth lay a set of two linens, a blanket and a pillow. The condition of these items was so bad that I thought they had been used earlier and would now be replaced.

I asked the bedding attendant to replace these and was shocked to hear that it was a fresh lot. Dissatisfied, I complained to the TTE, who expressed his inability to help me, saying that the supply of beddings was no more with the Railways: it has been outsourced to the IRCTC and I should lodge a complaint with them.

I told him that Pune has already earned the dubious distinction of maximum swine flu deaths and supply of unwashed linen and pillow-covers would further jeopardise the passengers' health. He advised me to request the bedding attendant to change the unwashed pieces. To my surprise, I found stacks of washed, clean and well-ironed linens, pillow-covers and hand-towels in the store. I almost forced him to replace the unwashed linens. I compelled him to give me a clean hand-towel, a luxury no other passenger in the coach enjoyed.

Supply of unwashed linen is not only a very bad practice but a potential source of infections. It is already well known that the Railways get the blankets cleaned only once a month. Would the authorities arrange to stop this unhealthy malpractice forthwith?

S. K. Kulshrestha,

9, Old Survey Road, Dehra Dun – 248 001.
Pension, please.....

I served the Postal Department for 38 long years — more than 28 years as an Extra Departmental staff and nine years and eight months as a Postman. If an Extra Departmental employee serves the department for at least ten years on being made a postman, he becomes eligible for getting pension.

I joined service on March 20, 1973, and was promoted as a postman on May 21, 1991. In the same capacity, I served at Srinagar in Jammu & Kashmir Circle. As per the rules, I am short of the stipulated eligibility period by just two months for which I am being deprived of any pension whatsoever.

I am a poor retired man with many liabilities which include two unemployed sons and one unmarried daughter. After putting in so many years of sincere service, I expect a pension from the Government and request that my case be considered for this.

I even lodged a complaint at the Pensioners' Portal in July this year and as per rules I was to be informed within 30 working days. But to this day I have not received any reply. I pray to the higher postal authorities in New Delhi to kindly consider my case and extend to me the benefit of pension.

Mohammad Akram Mir,

S/o Gh. Qadir Mir, Ratnipora, Shopian, Jammu & Kashmir.
Hello, MTNL.....

My MTNL telephone (No. 29984216) was out of order for nearly two months from July 2 to August 31and was set right after The Hindu took note of it in these columns. I had also written to the President about my problem. To my surprise now, instead of getting compensation for the said period, I have received bills from MTNL for both the months.

To add insult to injury, a machine called the other day to announce that the phone would be disconnected unless I pay the bills. Pay the bills for the period when the phone was dead! Will the MTNL realise its folly and make amends now?

Anil Mathur,

82 A/A, 14 Himgiri Apartments, Kalkaji Extension, New Delhi – 110019.
How about this?

I believe that everything in this world has some purpose and can be used in some way or the other. Also, being a science student, I believe science can provide a solution to each and every problem.

Ocean water and deserts, both available to humankind in plenty, are not being used to their potential. Can't we tap these infinite resources to generate employment? It just needs some innovation on the part of our scientists. Nothing's impossible. Deepak Singh,

107-C, Pocket J&K, Dilshad Garden, Delhi – 110 095.

dwarakesh

Special trains to Coimbatore

CHENNAI: Southern Railway will run special trains between Chennai Central and Coimbatore for Deepavali.

Train No. 0647 will leave Chennai Central at 11.50 p.m. on October 15 and 17 and reach Coimbatore at 7.55 a.m.

In the return direction, Train No. 0648 will leave Coimbatore at 11.45 p.m. on October 16 and 18 and arrive at Central at 8.15 a.m.

Advance reservation will begin on September 24.

dwarakesh

Additional trains

CHENNAI: Southern Railway is operating additional trains, besides increasing the number of coaches in popular trains, to help air passengers on

account of the cancellation of Air India flights. To provide this information to air passengers, the administration had provided helpdesks and

computer reservation terminals in all the major domestic and international airports.

The additional trains are being run on Thursday to Coimbatore, Ernakulam, Madurai and Nagercoil to clear the backlog of passengers and extra

coaches were attached to major trains on Wednesday.

dwarakesh

Special trains

CHENNAI: Southern Railway will run the following special trains from Chennai Central to Nagercoil (via Erode, Karur, and Madurai) and Ernakulam to clear the extra rush of passengers.

Train No. 0601 will leave Central at 8.30 p.m. on October 3, 5, 7, 9 and 12 and reach Nagercoil at 10.50 a.m. the next day. In the return direction, train no. 0602 will leave Nagercoil at 4.30 p.m. on October 4, 6, 8, 11 and 13 and arrive Central at 8.30 a.m. the next day.

Train No. 0625 will leave Central at 10.20 p.m. on October 1 and reach Ernakulam Junction at 11 a.m. the next day. In the return direction, train No. 0626 will leave the Ernakulam Junction at 7 p.m. on October 2 and arrive at Central at 7.40 a.m. the next day.

Additional Deepavali weekly superfast special trains to Coimbatore: Train no. 0613 will leave Central at 11.50 p.m. on October 2, 9, 23, 30, and November 6 and reach Coimbatore at 7.55 a.m. the next day. In the return direction, train no. 0614 will leave Coimbatore at 7.45 p.m. on October 4, 11, 25, November 1, and 8 and arrive Central at 4 a.m. the next day.

Advance reservation for the above trains will commence on October 1.

dwarakesh

Special trains till November 16

TIRUCHI: Train No. 839 / 840 Tiruchi – Karaikkudi – Tiruchi and Train No. 841 / 842 Karaikkudi – Manamadurai – Karaikkudi short distance special

trains are extended to run up to November 16. Train No. 839 Tiruchi – Karaikkudi special will leave Tiruchi at 3. 55 p.m. and arrive Karaikkudi at

6.15 p.m. In the return direction, Train No. 830A Karaikkudi – Tiruchi will leave Karaikkudi at 9.10 a.m. and arrive Tiruchi at 11.40 a.m.

dwarakesh

Chennai-Tirunelveli special daytime trains

CHENNAI: Southern Railway will run a daytime special between Chennai Egmore and Tirunelveli to clear the extra rush.

Train No. 0641 will leave Egmore at 9.30 a.m. on October 24 and 31 and reach Tirunelveli at 10.15 p.m. the same day. In the return direction, train

No. 0642 will leave Tirunelveli at 9.35 a.m. on October 25 and November 1 and arrive at Egmore at 10.15 p.m. the same day. Reservation will begin

on October 20.

dwarakesh

Special trains to Tiruchendur

MADURAI: Southern Railway will operate special trains between Tirunelveli and Tiruchendur on October 23 to clear rush of devotees attending the 'Soorasamharam' event during Kanda Sashti festival at the Tiruchendur temple.

According to a press release, the Tiruchendur-Tirunelveli passenger special will leave Tiruchendur at 9.45 a.m. and reach Tirunelveli at 11.20 a.m. It will stop at Arumuganeri, Nazareth, Srivaikundam and Seithunganallur.

The Tirunelveli-Tiruchendur passenger special will leave Tirunelveli at 1 p.m. and reach Tiruchendur at 2.45 p.m. A Tiruchendur-Tirunelveli special will leave Tiruchendur at 8.45 p.m. and reach Tirunelveli at 10.35 p.m. A Tiruchendur-Tirunelveli passenger special will leave Tiruchendur at 11 p.m. and reach Tirunelveli at 12.50 a.m.

The last three passenger specials will stop at all stations between Tiruchendur and Tirunelveli.

dwarakesh

Special trains to clear extra rush

TIRUNELVELI: The Southern Railway will operate the following special trains to clear extra rush: train number 665 Coimbatore – Shencottai Special will leave Coimbatore at 7.40 p.m. on Tuesdays from October 27 to November 24 and arrive Shencottai at 5.45 a.m. on the next day. In the return direction, train number 666 Shencottai – Coimbatore Special will leave Shencottai at 8.45 p.m. on Wednesdays from October 28 to November 25 and arrive Coimbatore at 7.50 a.m. the next day.

These special trains will stop at Tirupur, Erode, Karur, Dindigul, Kodaikanal Road, Madurai, Virudhunagar, Thiruthangal, Sivakasi, Srivilliputtur, Rajapalayam, Sankarankovil, Paambukovil Sandhai, Kadayanallur and Tenkasi. Train number 666 will stop at Coimbatore North also. The train will have one AC 2-tier, two AC 3-tier, 12 sleeper class, two general second class and two luggage-cum-brake van coaches.

dwarakesh

Works under way for Rs. 10,000 crore in Southern Railway: GM

Coimbatore: Development works and passenger amenities related works are under way in various stations of the Southern Railway at an outlay of over Rs 10,000 crore, said M.S. Jayanth, General Manager of Southern Rialway on Sunday.

He also pointed out that Rail Over Bridge construction is on at 12 places and proposals are in final stages with regard to 40 places in Tamil Nadu.

He inspected the Coimbatore Railway Junction, North Junction, Peelamedu and Irugur junctions and discussed the development works. He also inspected the Coimbatore - Irugur railway line doubling work.

He was accompanied by Salem Railway Divisional Manager P.N. Ram, Chief Engineer Bola Singh, Chief Planning and Design Engineer M. Satish.

Mr. Jayanth inspected the cleanliness at the junction, platforms and waiting hall.

He reviewed the plans for the proposed foot under bridge and foot over bridge planned for Coimbatore Junction for decongesting the junction premises.

He also directed for putting up boards displaying the parking fee and heard the passengers on the "exorbitant increase" in parking fee at the North Coimbatore Junction.

He had a meeting with the Members of Parliament, P.R. Natarajan (Coimbatore) and K. Sugumar (Pollachi). He said that considering the increasing passenger density, the Southern Railway has proposed an additional train on the Coimbatore - Nagercoil sector.

Mr. Jayanth said that the railway line doubling works between the Coimbatore and Irugur sections are nearing completion and efforts are on to have safety trial runs and Rail Safety authorities have been requested for conducting the same to throw the section open soon.

To ease congestion at the counters, Mr. Jayanth said that next to Palakkad and Thiruvananthapuram, a proposal is under consideration for automatic ticket vending machine at Coimbatore and would become functional very soon.

Considering the fact that 60 per cent of the passengers are now opting for e-tickets and only 40 per cent use the counters, Mr. Jayanth said that a proposal is under consideration for ticket vending through private sector at the rate of Re 1 as commission per ticket.

Southern Railway was witnessing an increase of 2 lakh passengers increasing per day in Southern Railway and said that efforts are on to provide them with all amenities.

He said that line doubling in respect of 320 km and broad gauge conversion in respect of 122 km are in full swing in Southern Railway.

dwarakesh

Special express trains for 'Irumudi' festival

MADURAI: Southern Railway will run 320 express special trains in connection with "Irumudi" festival between November 28, 2009 and January 29, 2010.

Train timings could be obtained from local railway stations.

Madurai-Melmaruvathur: November 28, December 2, 6, 19, 26, 28 and January 21; Melmaruvathur-Madurai: November 29, December 3, 7, 20, 27, 29 and January 22.

Dindigul-Melmaruvathur: November 30, December 8, 10, 30, January 8, 23, 25 and 27; Melmaruvathur-Dindigul: December 1, 9, 11, 31, January 9, 24, 26 and 28; Virudhunagar-Melmaruvathur: December 24, January 4 and 23; Melmaruvathur-Virudhunagar: December 25, January 5 and 24.

Tirumangalam-Melmaruvathur: December 4 and January 2; Melmaruvathur-Tirumangalam: December 5 and January 3.

Rameswaram to Melmaruvathur

Rameswaram-Melmaruvathur: November 28, 30, December 1 and 2; Melmaruvathur-Rameswaram: November 29, December 1, 2 and 3; Ramanathapuram-Melmaruvathur: December 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14 and 15; Melmaruvathur-Ramanathapuram: December 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15 and 16.

Paramakudi-Melmaruvathur: December 10, 13, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22; Melmaruvathur-Paramakudi: December 11, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23; Manamadurai-Melmaruvathur: December 3; Melmaruvathur-Manamadurai: December 4; Devakottai-Melmaruvathur: November 29; Melmaruvathur-Devakottai: November 30; Karaikudi-Melmaruvathur: December 6; Melmaruvathur-Karaikudi: December 7; Pudukottai-Melmaruvathur: December 12, 14 and 16; Melmaruvathur-Pudukottai: December 13, 15 and 17.

Sengottah-Melmaruvathur: December 24, 26, 28, 30 January 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 17, 19 and 25; Melmaruvathur-Sencottah: December 25, 27, 29, 31 January 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 18, 20 and 26; Sivakasi-Melmaruvathur: December 21, 27, 31 January 6, 8 and 11; Melmaruvathur-Sivakasi: December 22, 28, January 1, 7, 9 and 12.

Rajapalayam-Melmaruvathur: December 23, 29 January 4 and 10; Melmaruvathur-Rajapalayam: December 24, 30 January 5 and 11.

Srivilliputtur-Melmaruvathur: December 25, January 2 and 12; Melmaruvathur-Srivilliputtur: December 26, January 3 and 13; Sattur-Melmaruvathur: November 28 December 5 and 12; Melmaruvathur-Sattur: November 29 December 6 and 13.

From Tirunelveli

Tirunelveli-Melmaruvathur: December 19, 26 January 2, 9; Melmaruvathur-Tirunelveli: December 20, 27 January 3, 10; Tuticorin-Melmaruvathur: January 18, 20, 22; Melmaruvathur-Tuticorin: January 19, 21, 23; Kanniyakumari-Melmaruvathur: January 18, 23; Melmaruvathur-Kanniyakumari: January 19, 24; Nagercoil-Melmaruvathur: January 16 and 21 and Melmaruvathur-Nagercoil: January 17 and 22.

sajiv

Railways to unveil special tourism package

MYSORE: For the ensuing holiday season, the Railways will unveil a special tourism package originating from Mysore to different parts of South India.

Buoyed by the response to its tourism promotion, the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has decided to include Mysore — a major tourist centre — as the embarking point for different tours to be launched by the corporation in due course.

Speaking to The-Hindu, S. Gagarin, Chief Regional Manager, IRCTC, South Western Railways, said the package tours will be launched by the second or third week of December and tourists visiting Mysore who wish to venture and explore further south at an affordable rate, as also people of Mysore and surrounding region, can avail themselves of the facility.

The package has been well designed and for the tourists hard-pressed for time as also those looking for a break, and it includes confirmed train tickets, transportation apart from lodging and boarding. "Catering to the residents of Mysore, IRCTC will roll out a new package operational to Chennai-Puducherry-Mahabalipuram-Tirupati-Kanchipuram" circuit", Mr. Gagarin said.

Giving details of the itinerary which will become operational from December, he said the Mysore-Puducherry-Mahabalipuram-Tirupati-Kanchipuram trip will be covered in five nights and six days. Mr. Gagarin said the prices were competitive with assured accommodation on trains and onward journey by road apart from accommodation.

The IRCTC is also coming out with the rail tour packages for Madurai-Kanyakumari and Rameshwaram circuit with embarkation by train no. 6732 Tuticorin Express. This package will be operational by January 2010. These are special packages to cater to special needs of the tourists, said Mr. Gagarin and pointed out that in addition there were other packages from Mysore, which had proved to be popular.

This includes the Mysore-Tirupati package and also Bangalore-Shirdi package for which however, the boarding point is Bangalore. Mr. Gagarin said the pilgrimage circuit to Shirdi was immensely popular and there was daily departure by the Karnataka Express, and people of Mysore could avail themselves of it.

A few more circuits could be rolled out in future depending on the response to the new packages, said Mr. Gagarin who pointed out that IRCTC — which is a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) of Indian Railways — was on the fast-track to develop rail-based tourism in India ( www.railtourismindia.com) and was hence exploring new vistas to spread its footprint and make itself the obvious choice for tourists.

dwarakesh

Sabarimala special train

CHENNAI: Southern Railway will run additional Sabarimala and Melmaruvathur special trains during the pilgrim season. According to a release here on Friday, the Chennai Central-Kollam special (No. 0635) will leave Chennai Central at 10.30 p.m. on November 30 and arrive in Kollam at 2.15 p.m. the next day.

The Kollam-Chennai Central special (0636) will leave Kollam at 4.15 p.m. on December 1 and arrive in Chennai Central at 8.10 a.m. the next day.

The Madurai-Melmaruvathur special (No. ML14A) will leave Madurai at 8.30 p.m. on January 6 and 10 and arrive in Melmaruvathur at 9.00 a.m. the next day. The Melmaruvathur-Madurai special (ML13A) will leave Melmaruvathur at 8.45 p.m. on January 7 and 11 and arrive in Madurai at 5.20 a.m. the next day.

dwarakesh

Special trains

CHENNAI: Southern Railway will run specials from Chennai to Kerala on December 4 and 5 during the pilgrim season. According to a release, the Chennai – Kollam Special (No 0601), via Coimbatore, will leave Central at 10.30 p.m. on Friday and reach Kollam at 2.15 p.m. the next day.

The train No 0602 Kollam – Chennai, via Podanur, will leave Kollam at 4.45 p.m. on December 5 and reach Central at 10.30 a.m. The trains would stop at Arakkonam, Katpadi, Jolarpettai, Salem, Erode, Tiruppur, Palakkad, Thrisur, Aluva, Ernakulam Town, Kottayam, Tiruvalla, Chengannur and Kayankulam. Reservations would begin on Friday.
Additional helplines

Additional helplines are set up to give information about trains during mega blocks in Central on December 8, 10 and 13. Phone Nos.: 044- 29015211, 25330710, 25330717.

dwarakesh

Special trains

MADURAI: A Madurai-Melmaruvathur special train no. ML14A will leave Madurai at 8.30 p.m. on January 6 and 10 and arrive

Melmaruvathur at 9 a.m. the next day. Train No. ML13A Melmaruvathur-Madurai special will leave Melmaruvathur at 8.45 p.m. on

January 7 and 11 and reach Madurai at 5.20 a.m. the next day. The trains will stop at Dindigul.

dwarakesh

Ooty-Coonoor train services likely to resume by January-end

Udhagamandalam: The Southern Railway authorities are braving a variety of odds to 're-rail' the Nilgiri Mountain Railway (NMR) which had been 'de-railed' by the large number of landslips, which occurred during last month's heavy rain.

Since the normal functioning of the NMR (a major tourist attraction) usually went a long way in reassuring visitors that all was well on the tourism front in this vacation destination, the railway authorities are working overtime to resume services at least on the Ooty-Coonoor stretch. Even donkeys have been pressed into service to transport stones to a badly damaged part of the line near Aruvankadu.

It was to ensure that the track was fit to transport men and materials, including 60 feet long girders to the breach spot. Simultaneously a trolley run had been carried out between Ooty and the breach spot. The slopes were being strengthened.

To a query, they said that by January-end services between Ooty and Coonoor would be resumed.

Compared to the Ooty-Coonoor section the job of clearing the Coonoor-Mettupalayam section was much harder because huge boulders were lying on the track.

For the past two days efforts were being made to break a boulder weighing about 400 tonnes near Kallar.

Meanwhile, with less then three months to go for the 2009 Summer tourist season in this disaster-hit vacation destination various sections of society particularly those dependent on tourism for a livelihood are wondering what was in store.

dwarakesh

Special train

CHENNAI: Southern Railway will run Coimbatore-Chennai Central-Coimbatore weekly superfast specials to clear the rush.

Train No. 0648 Coimbatore-Chennai Central Special will leave Coimbatore at 11.55 p.m. on Tuesdays from December 22 to January 19, 2010, and arrive at Chennai Central at 8.10 a.m. the next day. Train No. 0647 Chennai Central-Coimbatore Special will leave Chennai Central at 10.30 p.m. on Wednesdays from December 23 to January 20, 2010 and arrive at Coimbatore at 6.50 a.m. the next day.

The trains will stop at Tiruppur, Erode, Salem, Jolarpet, Katpadi and Arakkonam. Train No.0648 will stop at Perambur too.

Train No. 0647 will stop at Coimbatore North too. Reservation will begin on December 10, says a Southern Railway release.

sajiv

'Railway season tickets being misused'

Coimbatore: The Coimbatore Consumer Cause (CCC) has appealed to Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee to check misuse of monthly season tickets issued for those below the poverty line.

In a memorandum to the Minister, Secretary of CCC K. Kathirmathiyon pointed out that as per the norms, people whose monthly income is below Rs.1,500 could travel a distance of up to 100 km..

For a distance of up to 100 km, the cost of normal season ticket was around Rs.300 and it was Rs. 25 under concession.

The regular season ticket itself was cheaper compared to the bus fare. From the statistics available, it was found that concessional tickets issued at Coimbatore Jn. Tirupur, Erode and Salem are nearly 50 per cent. Nearly 3,900 monthly season tickets were issued at concession rates in these stations for a month. In Erode, it was found that the concession tickets issued were more than the season tickets. Before introduction of the scheme, the total season tickets issued at Erode were 1,377. But under the concession scheme 1, 718 tickets were issued at the particular station. The scheme was announced to help those living below poverty line. Unfortunately, a sizeable number of people are misusing it.

More than 40 per cent of the people travelling with the season tickets have concessional tickets.

Some people are even travelling more than 100 km also by availing the concessional ticket. CCC expects the Railways to be transparent in collecting its fare. There was no proper mechanism to verify the genuineness of the beneficiaries and no provision for any penal action if the scheme was misused.

A Pinheiro

We request to introduce direct  Superfast  train from Dadar to Nagapatinam  at least once a week either side  on a regular basis.
so that we can attend the feastival in Septermber. 

APinheiro

spelltrim

The area once known as Rupert's Land is now mainly a part of Canada, but a small portion is now in the United States of America. It was named after Prince Rupert of the Rhine, a nephew of Charles I and the first Governor of the Hudson's Bay Company. Areas once belonging to Rupert's Land include all of Manitoba, most of Saskatchewan, southern Alberta, southern Nunavut, northern parts of Ontario and Quebec, as well as parts of Minnesota and North Dakota and very small parts of Montana and South Dakota.

Don Bonomini

Kalyan

Railways limit Tatkal booking to 24 hours

Union Railways Minister, Dinesh Trivedi on Friday (today) declared new rules for booking Tatkal tickets. The tatkal reservation scheme helps to meet the urgent requirement of the passengers who plan their journey at short notice.

According to the new rule, tatkal tickets can now be booked only 24 hours before the commencement of railway journey.

Railways Ministry also barred from booking tatkal tickets between 8 am to 10 am. The move has been initiated by the Railway Ministry to stop black-marketing in the sale of tickets. The Railway Ministry has also announced that CCTV cameras would be installed before tatkal counters so that misuse of tickets can be stopped.

The new tatkal rules will come into effect within a week. The Ministry also said that no duplicate ticket would be issued if the tatkal ticket is lost. Moreover, in a bid to avoid proxy booking, no money would be refunded in case a passenger cancels a confirmed tatkal ticket.

source: http://news.oneindia.in/2011/11/11/railways-limits-tatkal-booking-to-twenty-four-hrs.html
courtesy: One India

railwayuser

yes, the new IRCTC like website ( content edited by admin ) website is also known as NGET IRCTC or Next generation IRCTC website. It is fast than previous version. In partcular tatkal tickets can be booked fast.  :agree

Content added by admin
Original website & only official website is https://www.irctc.co.in/
dont trust the look a like website as mentioned above
proudly employed by CRIS, developed IRCTC look a like updates website eTicket booking system with team.

dhoni

this is amazing news the IRCTC website has fast browsing for tatkal

we want more fast train for chennai to rameswaram